Sunday, September 17, 2006

Family Vacation(s) - OR Coast, Columbia River, Mt Hood, Tetons and Yellowstone

It is hard to do all the activity I have had justice in a post but I am going to try. If the title to this one confuses you, I will try to clear things up. Mom and Lee had planned to visit me in August upon my return from Canada. We planned and pulled off a whorl-wind tour of the Oregon Coast up the Columbia River and over to Mt. Hood. I say we planned it but we really just booked their flights, rented a car, packed the cooler and set off with nothing more than our intentions set and the rest we left to fate. I have to say it all worked out great and as the pictures will show, we didn’t miss much. The second of my family vacations was even more spontaneous. Seems the warm weather in TN and apparent lull in activity drove my Dad to fly out and visit The Tetons and Yellowstone with me. Again we set our intentions; book ended our dates and hit the road.

Mom, Lee and Me – Oregon:

We started out in Portland but really only spent enough time there to get supplies, which translates to food for us, and a couple of guide books from REI. From there we hit the road headed west. We started at Tillamook, OR and made our way North up the coast hitting towns, beaches and highlights along the way. Our favorite stops being Cannon Beach and Fort Clatsop. Here are the windblown travelers on a beach that Lewis and Clark had frequented years earlier.

From the mouth of the Columbia we turned east and headed up the Columbia River to Hood River, OR. In keeping with our adventurous style we didn’t hesitate to pull a u-turn and check things out along way. We also seldom passed an interesting dinner (seafood) and we were never far away from an espresso stand, whether wanted to be or not. These are the traveling Tennesseans atop Multnomah Falls. The tallest falls in Oregon and a 2 mile, 700’+ vertical gain form the parking lot. We earned our dinner that dinner day.

From Hood River we first traveled up the valley toward Mt Hood by train taking a day trip into the country and through all of the orchards. From there we returned to Hood River and made our way around a forest fire to Mt Hood via the Dalles. In one day we went from lush vegetation to high desert to alpine timber. Mt Hood Lodge, of all the times (2) that I have been to Mt. Hood I have never been treated as nicely as when I was actually staying in the Mt. Hood lodge, thanks to Mom and Lee. And I have definitely not eaten as well, although I think I do prefer sleeping in the parking lot rather than in the 1930, all wood (walls, floors, ceiling) lodge. I have to apologize to mom for correcting some of our neighbors at 3 in morning. The acoustics were a little much. This is the mother-son shot with a worthy objective in the background, Mt Jefferson. Can see all the weight she put on me in just a week.

Thank-you Mom and Lee for great visit, I don’t think anyone could have topped our efforts.




Hot weather drives local man mad – Teton and Yellowstone:

So dad and I are talking on the phone one Sunday evening and he asks what I have planned for the near future. I explained that my plans we sort of up in the air for the next 2 weeks. He suggests that I visit Yellowstone. I agree that, that would be a good destination and he says, I will come out and go with you. Monday plane tickets get purchased and by Friday I am picking him up at the airport in Idaho Falls. Hot weather and nothing to hunt is dangerous combination for my dad.

Dad and I hit the road running but not before a nice big meal and a Moose Drool or 2(man I eat good when family is around). We peeled through Jackson Hole and right on into Grand Teton National Park. I tried not to look too hard at the Tetons, since I new we wouldn’t be climbing them but wow! Let’s just say it was very reminiscent of the Canadian Rockies, definitely a must do. This is dad and I posed in front of the massive range, Grand Teton tops out a 13,777’. Yeah.

Before leaving the Tetons we stopped to take in a Moose, Bald and Golden Eagles. Dad had brought with him a spotting scope and we could have charged admission for all the views we allowed people. Dad was definitely poplar that day. We soon put the Tetons in the rear view and hit Yellowstone.

Our goal for Yellowstone was to hit the highlights, dodge the crowds and see some wildlife. Of course we could not miss Old Faithful and the trip would not have been complete without dad spotting a huge Elk and hearing him bugle. All and all we saw bear, elk, bison and mule deer. Not mention the paint pots, geysers, the canyon and Garner, MT.

Another great visit, thanks Dad.






Next posts – Idaho Whitewater on the Salmon and Yosemite Valley!!!!!

Current location – Camp 4 Yosemite Valley

3 Comments:

Blogger sloss said...

nicely done...you made any partners in camp 4 yet?

6:52 AM  
Blogger Ryan said...

Its good to see you looking like a human being with a real haircut.

3:26 PM  
Blogger Warren Harden said...

partners - yes, i met Greg a friend of guy a climbed with the bugs the 1st day i was here. hey and i have been out 3 days since and Ben Ricketts showed up Wednesday. Those 2 are out today.

Haircut - yeah it got to hot for the top knot. good to hear from you. i know you are busy being j knox and all.

11:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home