Thursday, August 24, 2006

Montana - The Missouri and Big Birthday (documented)

Well since leaving Canada I have diverted somewhat from my original agenda of rock climbing destinations and it’s been great. I have to admit I needed a little brake from climbing after 6 months solid. I realized while in the Bugaboos that my cousin Whitney and husband John, whom I had not, lived in Missoula, MT. Due south on the same highway 93 that I was on in Canada. So I planned a side trip before meeting Mike and Meg in Spokane, WA.

WOW Montana is awesome and Whit & John know how to enjoy it. I arrived at their home around mid-night and was floating the Clark-Fork River by 10:30 the next morning. Quit a welcome. The fun started there and has not quit. That very weekend we took a 4 day trip floating a section of the historic Lewis & Clark path on the Missouri River. This is the crew including our mascot Juneau, Sacagawea was tied up.

This was my first multi-day float trip and it’s definitely the way to travel backcountry. When floating, weight is not a consideration which is good as I was still recovering from coming out of the bugs. We had all the comforts of car camping without the car and crowds. Whit and John spent 2 years guiding this river and know it well. I had the benefit of what some would pay close to $1000 for. We saw one crew with a support motor barge full of comforts. We paddled past them and waved bye from up high. This is the aptly named hole in the wall. It was the only prominent feature we passed that was not mentioned in Lewis’ Journals.

Hiking side canyons (slot canyons) is a must and the only way to appreciate and respect the history of former inhabitants. This is one surviving petroglyph just up from our first camp.

All and all the price of admission on the Missouri guided or not, is well worth it. The river, the wildlife and the sunsets are amazing.

Special thanks to John, Whitney & Juneau Todd.







….. and that was just my 1st week back in the states. I must be living right because my second week can’t be outdone either; a Birthday visit from Mike and Meg Montgomery and its not even my birthday.

I have to start with – HAPPY 40TH MIKE!! I know that has to erk him a just a little. He sure doesn’t act 40 or really look it but if I have to be 32 then he has to be 40. I mean I was only like 12 (or 25) when I met and made friends with him and he did help get me the job that I ended quitting to take this trip. And, he still talks to me, go figure.

Mike and Meg arrived in Spokane on a Friday morning after leaving TN ~ 4AM or something crazy like that. We immediately lit into catching up and getting wound up like good friends do. This is Mike and Meg at one of the Winery’s we visited just outside Spokane. It’s amazing we made it there, what with all the chatting, direction giving, bad maps and cramped conditions in my little truck not to mention a headache or two.

Of course I lobbied for a river trip given my recent introduction to the water in Montana. So we loaded up hit the Clark Fork. This time with Pangaea Expeditions (http://www.pangaea-expeditions.net/index.htm), a great rafting company that really knows how to do the Clark Fork. After already floating it once, I was surprised how much they added to the fun. Good Folks.

See now Mike doesn’t look 40 here. He does look like he’s going to get a mouth full of water. Also next time you see Mike; ask him how he likes swimming rapids?

There is a lot more to add on my visit with Mike and Meg but photos were not always taken and you just can’t publish everything. I will however publish the fact that Mike Montgomery’s 40th Birthday has been immortalized in Spokane, WA in a pub named, O’Doherty’s AND that I helped do it. Here is the full story.

Chris, our bartender and fine fellow, enlightened us on how and why the signed $1 bills were all over the bar. The bills were there to document someone, something or both and the process to get the bill posted involved singing or telling a joke by a patron, sponsor, on top of the bar with everyone's attention. This ain’t no small pub either. I agreed to address the crowd on Mike’s behalf and chose to tell a joke as opposed to singing, since people were eating. The first picture proves I tried and the 2nd proves I succeeded and that Mike Montgomery can never claim to be less than 40. Good Times!!

I want to leave you all with the joke I told and I encourage your comments. I like the joke and didn’t get the crowd approval that I think its worth.

Paddy and Murphy –

Paddy and Murphy are sitting at the bar discussing how broke they are when Paddy says, Murphy I got it. We’re Irish and we live by the sea. Yeah says Murphy. So most Irish love the Sea. Yeah says Murphy. We will start a business burying people at Sea. Brilliant says Paddy and they decide to put an ad in the paper. Two weeks later they get a call from Margaret who wants her recently deceased husband buried at Sea. Now this is Paddy and Murphy’s 1st burial and they want to do it write. So boat loaded, Murphy begins to paddle them out to Sea. Paddy says that’s good and jumps over the side. He goes in to his waist and says, err it is not deep enough paddle out some more Murphy. A little farther out Paddy jumps over again this time going up to his neck but still it is not deep enough and has Murphy paddle out more. The again Paddy jumps over and goes down, down and then finally comes back up. Murphy says, “is it deep enough Paddy”. ‘Ihh its deep enough” says Paddy, “now gives us the shovel”.

Get it, “buried at Sea”.

Once again, Happy Birthday Mike!!! And thank you both for coming out. Nobody can do it up like we did.

6 Comments:

Blogger Warren Harden said...

yeah i left a few minor events out to protect the inocent (mainly me).

thanks for the visit. b/w you, mike and my parents - august will go down as the "best eating" month I have had thus far.

w

12:19 PM  
Blogger CL said...

Dude, the trip seems to be getting better and better.
But alas, your joke telling is not....

6:33 AM  
Blogger Warren Harden said...

i like my joke. you all just have not taste...

3:56 PM  
Blogger Warren Harden said...

don't worry you can all redeem yoursevles when i am working 2 jobs to catch up....

9:58 AM  
Blogger sloss said...

when are you taking off for the valley?

1:25 PM  
Blogger Warren Harden said...

today!!!

11:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home